Kickham Ranch (Henry Coe / Hunting Hollow)


My car on Jamieson Road. Kickham Ranch is in the distance.

The Kickham Ranch office at Henry Coe State Park, a few miles SE of Hunting Hollow, gets very few visitors. I was there twice before, without really knowing if I was supposed to be there or not. I decided to visit again on a muddy and short bicycle loop into the park.

The signs have changed a bit, but it appears to be OK to use, though not officially publicized or encouraged as an entrance.  There are no discouraging signs, but there is one gate to hop over if you want to connect to the Hunting Hollow Trail.

I parked my car on Jamieson Road, a bit before Kickham Ranch, and unloaded the mountain bike. A State Park truck passed me and waved before I headed out. Kickham Ranch is actively used by park staff, and I think I’ve heard that one Ranger may live there.


Room for several cars, outside the white lines!

I stopped in to say hello to the bear, and headed back out.


Kickham Ranch. “Do not feed the bears!”


Sign board at Kickham Ranch

Shortly after passing the Canada de Los Osos pond, the road got a bit steeper and I encountered some VERY sticky mud. I was later told it had been recently graded, which ruined the normal hard pack surface.


Low water level. Active with water birds, including a white egret.


The wheels and derailleur totally locked-up with over 20 pounds of mud and grass

I struggled to push or carry the bike uphill for a few hundred feet, while my feet slid in the opposite direction. Finally I got to the top of the hill and everything got better…slowly…as I poked at the mud with a stick and used some water from the closest trough.


Peaceful trail just before the Hunting Hollow intersection

This is a standard ranch gate, without any way around it. You, and your bicycle, must go up and over the 5 foot height.


The gate just before the Hunting Hollow trail.

No more sticky mud was encountered. The creek crossings had a few stagnant puddles, but no flowing water. I did get splashed and muddy, however (in a fun way, knowing I had clean clothes in the car!)


Hunting Hollow Trail


The famous windmill, which is kept operational by park volunteers. (“Thank you” Paul L.)

Hunting Hollow was quiet. This car had been there for awhile, but not overnight, judging by the small amount of warmth coming from the engine. I did not see anybody in the park, and only two vehicles on Canada and Jamieson Roads.


One car mid-day on a wet weekday. (Hunting Hollow parking)


An unpopular sign!

Head down Gilroy Hot Springs Road, and turn left at the Fire Station.


The Fire Station where Canada Road starts


Canada Road, heading back to Kickham Ranch


Filet Mignon along Canada Road


Canada Road turns right and Jamieson Road to the left (towards Kickham Ranch)

That’s it! It was about 11 miles and ~600 vertical feet. An interesting outing, but also a good reminder as to why the single track trails are closed to bicycles after a rainfall. Yuck! (Map & GPS track on Strava: )

About AlphaRoaming

Random outdoor roaming: hiking, cycling, camping, backpacking & plotting more of the above Grew up on the edges of the Adirondack mountains of New York, just a bit west of Vermont. Now living in Silicon Valley and venturing out when and where I can!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Kickham Ranch (Henry Coe / Hunting Hollow)

  1. Harry Cline says:

    Select excerpts from California Code of Regulations for DFR lands:

    Section 630, Title 14, CCR says:(10) Cañada de los Osos Ecological Reserve – Closed to all visitor use/access except for special opportunities as provided in subsections 630(d)(9) and 630(e)(9) of these regulations.

    Based on
    (a) All department land, except for fishing access and public access lands, is closed to visitor access and use until and unless the land is opened for a use or uses through regulations adopted by the commission in sections 550, 550.5, 551, 552, 630, 702, or 703 of these regulations.
    (D) real property designated by the commission as an ecological reserve (Section 630 of these regulations);
    (5) “Visitor” is defined as any person, other than a department employee or designee performing offcial duties, who enters department land.
    (6)“Entry permit”is defined as a permit which allows entry to specifed department land for department- authorized activities where general access is restricted per subsection 550(c)(2)(D). Entry permits may require payment of a fee to the department.
    (7) “Special use” is defined as an activity, use, event or gathering on department land that is not authorized in sections 550, 551 or 630 of these regulations but which may be allowed with written authorization from the department; typically in the form of a Special Use Permit. When allowed, special uses occur on a limited basis as defined in the Special Use Permit or other authorizing document. An authorized special use on department land shall not conflict with the normal uses, purposes or management of the department land.
    (2) Visitor entry onto department land is at the discretion of the department, which may limit entry as it deems appropriate, to manage and protect sh, wildlife, native plants, habitats and other natural resources. Entry may require an entry permit and payment of a fee as provided in subsection 550.5(c).
    (A) Visitor entry, where authorized or designated, is for activities authorized according to sections 550, 551, 552, or 630 of these regulations. All other visitor activities are prohibited.
    (B) All visitors shall present and show valid entry permits, season or annual passes, licenses, and all fish and game taken on department land at the checking station or upon the request of any department employee. Visitors shall return all entry permits to the checking station or point of entry upon leaving department land.
    (C) Visitor entry is authorized only from sunrise to sunset except during department-authorized hunting or fishing opportunities when access to hunting and fishing sites at other times may be permitted.
    (D) The department may close all or portions of department land to visitors entirely, seasonally, or to specific activities or uses, and may limit the number of visitors entering an area for safety reasons, to reduce crowding, to avoid or reduce environmental disturbance, to limit the take of species, or to protect natural or cultural resources. Designated closures and use restrictions for specific properties are provided in sections 551(for wildlife areas) and 630 (for ecological reserves) of these regulations.
    2. No visitor(s), other than those possessing written authorization from the department, shall enter or access any department land or portion thereof which is closed to visitors, including areas posted with closed signs and seasonally closed areas. This restriction does not apply to department employees or designees in the performance of official department duties.
    (F) No visitor shall enter any department land or portion thereof where the department has restricted visitor entry without a valid entry permit as provided in subsection 550.5(c) of these regulations.

    (4) Penalties.
    (A) A visitor’s failure to comply with sections 550, 551, 552 or 630 of these regulations may result in any or all of the following:
    4. citation or arrest under applicable provisions of the Fish and Game Code or regulations of Title 14, CCR.

    (d) Special Use Permits. Any person, group, organization, agency or company wishing to request approval of a special use, as defined in subsection 550(b)(7), on any department land shall submit a Permit Application for Special Use of Department Lands and the permit fee as specified in Section 703 of these regulations to the department. Additional regulations that apply to Special Use Permits are located in Section 550.5 of these regulations. Department review and issuance is dependent upon staffing availability. If the department determines that the requested special use can be conducted in a manner that is not in conflict with current uses, management, or purposes of the department land on which the special use is proposed, the department may issue a special use permit.

    (bb) Bicycles and bike riding are prohibited on department lands except where authorized and designated in subsection 551(j), Section 552, and subsection 630(g) of these regulations.
    (1) On department lands where trails or roads have been designated for bicycles, no visitor shall ride, operate, leave, or park a bicycle except on those designated areas.

    (A) Type 1 Special Use. A Type 1 special use is an activity that meets all of the following criteria:
    1. involves 30 or fewer visitors on site;
    2. involves ten or fewer (0-10) animals (such as dogs or horses) or bicycles (or other pedaled vehicles) in total;
    3. does not require the use of animals, bicycles, vehicles, or large equipment outside of designated parking areas, roads, trails, or other areas authorized for visitor use; and
    4. does not require use of the site for more than one calendar day during normal operating hours of the department land.

    (2) Application Process for Special Use Permits.
    (A) Application for a Special Use Permit shall be made on the “Permit Application for Special Use of Department Lands”, as speci ed in Section 703 of these regulations. Failure to disclose fund-raising or commercial activities or other information per the instructions on the application may result in a citation and ne.
    (B) Applications and Special Use Permit fees shall be submitted at least 45 days prior to the date of the requested activity or event to the appropriate regional o ce. The permit fees for Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3 Special Uses are speci ed in Section 703 of these regulations and are also on the application form.

    (3) Special Use Permit Application Review Process
    (A) Evaluation Criteria. Criteria used to evaluate Special Use Permit applications shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
    1. Will the proposed special use create a greater potential hazard or liability to the State, resources, or the public than typical operations within the department land on which the special use is proposed?;
    2. Is the special use a compatible use as de ned in subsection 550(b)(2)?;
    3. Can the use be conducted so as not to con ict with the current uses, management or purposes of the property?;
    4. Will the special use require the exclusive use of part or all of a property?;
    5. Will the special use interfere with other visitors’ use of the property?;
    6. Will additional department sta ng or sta time be required to prepare for, monitor or assist with, or return department land to its previous condition following the special use?;
    7. Will the permittee charge any fees and, if so, will the proposed fees exceed those the department charges for licenses, day use fees, or passes?;
    8. Will any items, products, or services be sold?; and,
    9. Has the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of any prior Special Use Permit issued by the department?.

    As for No Trespassing signs, they are not required except to prohibit hunting and/or firearm discharge. You are still trespassing if the land does not belong to you:

    TRESPASS: If the land you hunt on is not your own, it belongs to someone else. Make sure you have a legal right to be there. Contact the owner or person who administers the property, and secure written permission to hunt. A hunting license does not entitle you to enter private property.

    “It is unlawful to enter any lands under cultivation or enclosed by a fence, belonging to, or occupied by, another, or to enter any uncultivated or unenclosed lands, including lands temporarily inundated by waters flowing outside the established banks of a river, stream, slough, or other waterway, where signs forbidding trespass are displayed at intervals not less than three to the mile along all exterior boundaries and at all roads and trails entering such lands, for the purpose of discharging any firearm or taking or destroying any mammal or bird, including any waterfowl, on such lands without having first obtained written permission from the owner of such lands, or his agent, or the person in lawful possession thereof.

    Yes, our laws are long and complicated, but I have repeated the most pertinent for Candada de los Oso Ecological Reserve to make sure we are all aware of our obligations.

    • Adam Cole says:

      You might have checked a map before posting all that irrelevant stuff about trespassing. The pond is part of the Ecological Preserve, but Wagon Rd is in Coe Park. You can see the signed barbed-wire boundary fence in one of Alpha’s photos.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s